Monday, January 12, 2015

The Most Wonderful Sound I've Ever Heard

What an amazing week it has been for Sister Lasike and myself. First off, with transfers and all. WE ARE STAYING IN THE KANEOHE 1ST WARD! That means I will be killing off my 2nd companion at the end of February, which is extremely bitter-sweet for both of us. I really love Sister Lasike, she's such a blessing to me. I've learned so much about the gospel, and myself, and just. Wow I am blessed to be her final companion (:

2nd of all... Saturday was such a busy day, but one of the best days of my mission so far. Let me start off by quoting a song we listen to frequently:

The most wonderful sound I've ever heard,is the sound of water running, in the church
as someone I'd come to love got dressed in white
my eyes saw their first glimpse of heavens light

Anyone remember Sasha, from when I was serving in Olomana?
The week after I was transferred to Kaneohe 1st, Elder Doloroso and Elder Arave called to tell me she was getting baptized finally. I CRIED I WAS SO FLIPPIN EXCITED! Her Grandma had kept putting the whole thing off, and Teuscher and I were so sad. We wanted to see her baptized, but we knew she eventually would be. Sasha loves the gospel so much, there really was nothing that would stop her. For her birthday in November, we asked her if she could ask Christ for anything, what would it be, and she answered "To get baptized!" immediately.

This Saturday, Lasike and I drove to my old area, and I was able to witness Sasha enter the waters of  baptism. Someone that I taught from the beginning, I was able to be apart of her baptism and surprise her by showing up. She cried, and gasped SUPER loud when I walked in. She was so happy, and she couldn't stop hugging me. I love this little lady (:
I was the chorister for the baptism, and it was a spirit filled day. The traffic was awful on the way there, but the bishop got stuck in it to. So I made it for the whole thing.

What an indescribable feeling, seeing someone get baptized that you helped teach. I take no credit, though. It is a joyous moment, but it's all because of the Lord.




 On top of all this, Sister Lasike and I went tracting a few times, and we have several potential investigators. The cool thing is, well, it wasn't cool at first I guess. We needed to get gas in our car, it was nearly on empty, so of course we go to the gas station. When we get there, our card is rejected several times. Soooo we were out of luck. We were lucky, we were able to drive home, and we decided "Okay Heavenly Father, we'll walk." And so we did. And it was hot. And there were hills. But we ran into this older man pulling his weeds, and he said hello to us. Now, we were in our nice missionary attire as usual at this point. ANYWAYS we asked him if he'd like us to help him pull weeds, and to our surprise he was "Sure!" and just like that, we're having a conversation with this guy and pulling weeds together. His name is Ed, he's a retired general contractor and is super nice. He let us pray with him, and said we could come back anytime. 
Lasike and I easily could've stayed home and waited for the elder in charge of our car to call us back, but instead we took action. We were obedient, and dedicated ourselves multiple times this week, and there were choke miracles. (:

One of the others ladies we met, she invited us in (thankfully, it was so hot that day), and asked us questions about missionary work. She thanked us for our service and claimed we would see miracles. She of course clarified "You won't see miracles with me, I'm stubborn, but you'll see them with others!" Oh Aunty Nora, was that a challenge? :P

Also, I just have to say, I love this ward. I feel so much love here, and I feel like I've lived here and known these people all my life.

Tuesday was a rough day for me. It was the 1 year mark since my Grandma passed away. The Turner family fed us that night, and we actually made a gingerbread house with Grandma Martha that night before/after dinner. It reminded me of spending time with my own Grandma, and how much I missed her. I just started to cry while I was saying the closing prayer, and of course they all asked what was wrong. Earlier in the night, Grandma Martha listened to me talk about my Grandma and all that she's done for me, so she knew why I was upset. She explained to everyone, and Sister Turner looked at me and said "Just imagine her right now, dancing in Heaven with her cowboy boots". Was that inspired or what?! I hadn't told the Turners at this point how Grandma danced, but she just knew what to say. Grandma Martha then said the sweetest thing I've ever been told: "I know I can't measure up to your real Grandma, but you have me." Dang. How blessed am I? The Turners have done so much for us, but this was the most meaningful to me personally. I love and adore them so much.

I love my mission, and I love this ward. I love my Heavenly Father and Christ, our Savior.

Here are some other fun pics from the week:

Ofa atu, everyone!
Sister Nori

​Sister Lasike and I did our week planning in the Hawaii Botanical Gardens!

​Sister Tani, from Kaneohe 1st, feeding her favorite missionaries (besides her son, who is serving in Tacoma Washington!)

1 comment:

  1. "Killing off" is such a brutal phrase to me jeez. I'm glad Grandma Martha seemed to know just what to say. She sounds like a nice woman. Also, that tree must be HUGE.

    ReplyDelete