Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Paging Dr. Bishop!‏

This week, well. Not much missionary work was done, unfortunately. I won't go into too much detail, but I had a large medical issue that needed to be taken care of. Now, fortunately for me, my Bishop AND his wife are both doctors, and are the ones who caught the issue on time.

I had a very large, infected abscess that needed immediate treatment. Bishop and his wife took me to her office, and they performed the procedure to drain it. For real though, how many missionaries can say their bishop and his wife performed an operation on them? The Lord truly had me here for a reason!

That night, we were doing our monthly ward flood. Sister Harris and I went on splits with 4 other sisters in the ward. I was put with Sister Carlile (bishops wife) and another sister. When we got back to the chapel at about 8, I was in so much pain. And, naturally, Sister Carlile being a doctor and a mother, heard me yelp and was instantly by my side. Then she went into doctor-mode, and less than 2 hours later we were in her office doing the procedure.

Again, I won't go into much detail. It was sort of humorous though, for my companion and I. The numbing medication and shots weren't working, so I felt the entire procedure. I YELLED. THE ENTIRE TIME. Like, not just talked loudly, I literally yelled whatever popped into my head, which included the Hawaii Honolulu missionary motto, "I am a Child of God", "Survive" by Gloria Gaynor, and I also yelled at one point "MY POOR COMPANION IS PROBABLY TRAUMATIZED I'M SO SORRY SISTER HARRIS".

Needless to say, I'm doing much better now. I am still on medications, and super tired all the time, but the wound isn't infected and is getting better each day. I am so grateful for Bishop and Sister Carlile for the care they've provided for me, and for all they do to take care of the missionaries. 

So there's my fun week. On the way, we went to a cool look-out in Kaneohe! Here's a pic!



I am grateful for the love and support I feel from my fellow missionaries, and the ward. Don't worry Mom, I am in the best hands here (:

I love my mission, and am anxiously awaiting to get back out there and work! 

'Ofa atu,
Nori

(please pray for me!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, abscesses are the WORST. I'm right there with you, Alexis. I had one, too, and when they lanced it it hurt SO bad. The anesthetic injection hurt, too, and I'm not sure how well it worked. I'm so happy they caught it in time before it got more serious, though!

    ReplyDelete