Monday, April 13, 2015

E Komo Mai, Palehua!‏

What a crazy few days it has been! I was up all Tuesday night, sobbing and stressing about packing/transfers/new beginnings and all that jazz. Needless to say I was extremely exhausted when we arrived in Honolulu for transfer meeting. I was able to see some of my favorite missionaries (who haven't gone home already :P) and they boosted me up! I love how supportive the elders and sisters you have previously served with are! (:

Sister Casteneda is so amazing! It's kind of funny, she's 5 years older than me, but I am the senior companion? Funny how that works out. Her testimony is so solid though, and she followed the Lord's prompting to serve a mission even though she could have taken several different routes. She and I get along so well! She's so hilarious, and really loves the gospel and the work. Which is super convenient because WHITE WASHING IS NOT EASY.

I'm so grateful for the past sisters who we replaced in this area, they left us notes and tips all over the area book. On Thursday all we did was drive. We drove and we drove and we stopped and we drove and we drove and, guess what, WE DROVE. Ugh. Our area isn't large in size, but there are houses literally EVERYWHERE. It's crazy how much you can fit into a little bit of land. 

That night, we had dinner with the Willis family. They have a daughter serving in the Canada Montreal mission, so they love to feed the sisters (: It was a welcomed end to our day, meeting members and getting to relax and talk story. Brother Willis is full of jokes, especially about me. Good thing I have had to learn to be quick on my feet, thanks to certain elders... (:

After dinner, we received a call from a girl named Sina. She's 21 years old and preparing for a mission. She was like "HI I'm a ward missionary, can I come out with you 2 sisters all day tomorrow and show you around?" We were like, umm, let me think about tha-YES! She's amazing, she goes out with the missionaries often and is so willing to help.

The Palehua ward is such a special ward. Every single member is excited about missionary work, and do their part. They invite their friends, they go out with us often, they want to know what they can do to help hasten the work and take care of us. No joke, every single member does this. The ward is small, but mighty (:

The Paet family, they are wonderful as well! Sister Paet is our missionary Mom out here, she loves us and makes sure we're always taken care of. Her kids are also great, she has 4 kids. The youngest is named Caleb, and we had a funny moment with him after dinner: We were sharing my personal favorite scripture, Ether 12:27 which says:

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.


After we had shared the scripture, I asked the family "What is something you see as a weakness within yourself that you can turn into a strength?"

Caleb shot up his hand, and replied "I am too kind to people. I can use that as a strength to make people feel bad when they take advantage of me."  I died a little, we all couldn't stop laughing!

Sunday was a welcoming day. Everyone was so happy to see us, and introduced themselves. Honestly the spirit is so special in this ward, I really can't describe it. I absolutely love these people already, and I am so excited to continue working with them! We are going to be setting a few investigators with baptism dates this week, and start teaching a few new investigators. What an amazing time for us here in the Palehue ward!

I do miss Kaneohe, but I have no doubts that I will make my way over there before my mission is over. I am so grateful to be here in the Makakilo zone, to take the lead and help others come unto Christ. I LOVE MY MISSION! (:

Love you all, and thank you for the continued support. I sent my Mom my new address, so hopefully she'll be sending that around. Don't be a stranger (:

'Ofa atu,
Sister Nori

Hermana Castaneda

I walk out of church and this is what I see

1 comment:

  1. Jeez, each zone she transfers to is more beautiful than the last!! It sounds like this zone is already great!

    ReplyDelete